Mission Clean Energy is seeking Legal Counsel to join our rapidly growing company either remotely or at our office location in San Francisco, California. We offer a hybrid work environment and will consider remote locations for exceptional applicants. Our team is located in Arizona, California, Colorado, D.C., Florida, Missouri, New York, Washington, and beyond.
Mission Clean Energy (“Mission”) is a values-driven company focused on accelerating the clean energy transition. Our mission is to decarbonize the grid responsibly, one renewable energy project at a time. We are leading the way by providing clean, abundant, and reliable energy to communities throughout the US.
Mission is a recently founded, well-capitalized company with an established leadership team that is focused on delivering extraordinary results. We value our strong employee culture rooted in collaboration and transparency and favor innovative thinkers who help us reach our ambitious growth and impact goals.
About the Role:
The Legal Counsel will provide legal support for the growing pipeline of renewable energy projects (solar and battery energy storage) for real estate acquisition and development activities.
This candidate will report to the Chief Operating Officer and will work closely with our growing cross-functional group that includes representation from finance, engineering, GIS, real estate, permitting, transmission/interconnection, and revenue contract origination.
This position is a rare opportunity to join an outstanding team in a critical role that will shape the growth and future of the company. This is an ideal job for a deeply skilled person who wants to lead in an entrepreneurial environment while maximizing their impact on the clean energy transition.
- Interface and provide support to the company’s developers in the acquisition of land rights for the development of renewable energy projects
- Draft, review and negotiate a wide variety of real estate documents required for the development of renewable energy projects, e.g., purchase agreements, lease agreements, easement agreements and crossing agreements.
- Provide advice to the business on legal, regulatory and commercial risks.
- Review title and survey documents, resolve of title and survey issues, negotiate title insurance policies and related topics
- Apply a practical focus to legal issues with a view to finding viable business solutions.
- Work within the leadership team to improve processes and efficiency.
- Provide training and educational opportunities to the development team on real estate, title and contract matters.
The successful candidate must have utility-scale renewable energy experience, as well as the following experiences, skills, and attributes.
- Bachelor’s Degree and Juris Doctor (JD)
- Admission to a state bar in the United States, with preference for membership in the California bar.
- 3+ years of solar and/or battery project real estate contract negotiation experience.
- 5+ years of legal experience – in-house or law firm.
- It is required to have specific legal knowledge and experience in real estate matters, such as land leases, sale agreements, easements, curative title matters and preferably have experience in some of the following areas: local government permitting, land entitlements, negotiation of tax abatement agreements and corporate business matters
- Must be able to effectively communicate complex legal issues to internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to manage and support multiple projects simultaneously, with varying complexities and urgencies presented day-to-day.
- Exceptional organization, attention to detail, communication, negotiation, and presentation skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel within the United States as much as 15% of the time, or as required by project needs.
Mission offers highly competitive compensation. Our benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, and health insurance; 401(k) plan with company match; and generous time-off policies.
We seek a diverse candidate pool in this and every search. Mission Clean Energy is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Compensation: $170,000 – $240,000 annual salary + bonus, depending on qualifications and relevant experience.