Mission Clean Energy is seeking a Manager of Transmission and Interconnection to join our rapidly growing company either remotely or at our office location in San Francisco, California. We offer a hybrid work environment and will consider remote locations for exceptional applicants. Our team is located in Arizona, California, Colorado, New York, Montana, Texas, Washington DC, and beyond.
Mission Clean Energy (“Mission”) is a values-driven company focused on accelerating the clean energy transition. Our mission is to decarbonize the grid responsibly, one renewable energy project at a time. We are leading the way by providing clean, abundant, and reliable energy to communities throughout the US.
Mission is a newly founded, well-capitalized company with an established leadership team that has worked together for several years delivering extraordinary results. We value our strong employee culture rooted in collaboration and transparency and favor innovative thinkers who help us reach our ambitious growth and impact goals.
About the role:
The ideal candidate will have a broad skill set that makes them effective in a technical and regulatory context associated with strategic transmission system analysis while navigating the interconnection process. We are looking to you to develop, coordinate, and analyze optimal strategies for interconnecting renewable energy and storage projects to the grid based upon system assessments, interconnection processes and costs, and market delivery.
You will work with a team of external subject matter experts and consultants to perform interconnection modeling and studies, including load flow studies of current and future utility system conditions, and prepare interconnection requests. The Manager of Transmission and Interconnection will collaborate with leadership in other functions to provide input on market analysis, site selection, project estimating, and project development execution.
The successful candidate will be as comfortable navigating the interconnection process and technical details of an individual project as they are researching and analyzing system level transmission strategies.
This mid-level position does not require extensive experience, but requires someone who is highly analytical, can multitask, and is highly organized, detail-oriented, and self-motivated. This is an ideal job for a deeply skilled person who wants to grow and hone their professional skill alongside an outstanding team in an entrepreneurial environment, while maximizing their impact on the clean energy transition.
- Work with leadership to grow the company’s portfolio through the identification of new transmission and interconnection opportunities and strategies in various targeted markets.
- Develop and coordinate transmission analysis with support our consultants including power flow studies, including injection studies, deliverability studies, and others as needed, and provide cost estimates of required transmission system upgrades as needed.
- Provide investment-grade understanding of interconnection processes and documents, including interconnection studies, standards, and agreements.
- Oversee technical deliverables and strategies required for identifying points of interconnection and placing interconnection requests with the respective RTO/ISO.
- Monitor and communicate tariff, large generation interconnection process, and policy changes in target markets.
- Track key transmission upgrades in target markets, both through base-line development and upgrades triggered by clustered queued generation and help to identify the strategic timing of interconnection requests to benefit from those upgrades.
- Thoroughly track and concisely communicate interconnection position statuses and deadlines for our growing project portfolio, including critical interconnection study milestones, cost estimates, and capital exposure risks, and clearly communicate necessary information throughout the organization.
- Serve as a representative, liaison, and point of contact for interacting with RTOs and utilities.
- Coordinate internal negotiation of interconnection-related agreements.
- Build a network of consultants, processes for engaging those partners, and internal databases for interconnection processes, study results, and cost estimates.
- Work within the leadership team to improve processes and efficiency and provide occasional educational opportunities to members of the development team that are new to the industry to improve their interconnection & transmission know-how.
While no one individual will possess all desired qualifications, a successful candidate will bring many of the following experiences, skills, and attributes. If you are unsure of whether you meet enough of the qualifications below but believe that your experience and skill set is a good match for this position, we invite you to apply!
- 3-5 years in the renewable energy field with strong preference for individuals with a Bachelor’s degree in a technical field and/or interconnection and transmission planning experience.
- Deep understanding of the transmission system as it relates to renewables and storage siting and development, and the ability to translate complicated technical transmission analysis and plans into actionable technical and strategic guidance.
- Working knowledge of RTO and utility tariffs, business practices, protocols, procedures, guides
- Proficiency using power system modeling using PSSE, PowerWorld, MUST, and TARA, or other modeling applications
- Strong program management skills, with an emphasis on managing multiple projects within a portfolio and managing priorities with regular adjustment to new information from the market.
- Ability and inclination to continually evaluate business needs and practices while successfully facilitating improvements and problem solving.
- Exceptional organization, attention to detail, and professional communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and work effectively with cross-functional employee groups; we’re looking for people whose references will say you’re a great teammate.
Education Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
Mission offers highly competitive compensation. Our benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, and health insurance; 401(k) plan with company match; professional development assistance; and self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies.
We seek a diverse candidate pool in this and every search. Mission Clean Energy is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
To apply for this position, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. US based applicants only. No recruiters, please.